Header Ads

  • Breaking News

    Indian Style Fish Curry



    So my sister lent me this awesome cookbook which I think she doesn’t realize is still with me. It’s part of the Periplus Mini Cookbooks and titled ‘Homestyle Indian Cooking’ authored by Devagi Sanmugam.

    If like me, you’re still learning to make Indian dishes at home, this recipe book will come in handy. This is also the recipe book I referred too when making this for the first time.

    Growing up, fish curry was not my favourite dish on the table. I felt like there were too many spices in the way of the curry. I found that I couldn’t enjoy the taste of the gravy without getting some sort of little yucky tasting spice into my mouth.  Not high on my list of recipes to try, I nonetheless tried out this fish curry recipe hoping it would be a winner. And it was!



    What you need:
    2 tablespoons oil
    ½ tsp mustard seeds
    ½ tsp fenugreek
    100g (1 cup) peeled and sliced shallots
    Small piece ginger, sliced
    2 green chillies, cut in half lengthwise (Sometimes I omit these if I don’t have)
    2 sprigs curry leaves
    2 tablespoons coriander powder
    1 tsp turmeric powder
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 ½ tablespoons chili powder (We like it spicier, so I add 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder)
    80g (1/3 cup) tamarind pulp mixed with 1 ½ cups (375ml) water, stirred and strained
    200g ladies’ finger, cut into 5-cm lengths 
    2 tomatoes quartered
    500g tenggiri fish steaks sliced ½ inch thick
    250ml (1 cup) thick coconut milk (This is too much coconut milk for me, so I just add about 100ml coconut milk or less and 150ml water)
    1 tsp salt
    Showing them ladies' fingers some love. I love LF in curries!
    What to do:
    1)  In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds and fenugreek until aromatic. 
    2) Add the shallots, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute until the shallots turn light brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
    3)  Add the coriander, turmeric, cumin and chili powders and the tamarind water. Cook for further 5 minutes, stirring well.


    4) Add the ladies’ fingers and tomatoes, boil for 3 minutes.


    Then add fish slices. Boil until fish is cooked about 5 minutes.


    5) Stir in the coconut milk (and water), return to the boil and simmer for approximately 1 minute. Season to taste, then serve.


    Verdict:
    To me, this is the best South Indian fish curry recipe I’ve tried thus far beating out the Claypot Fish Curry tried previously. Personally I like the ‘sourish’ taste in the fish curry which stems from the tamarind water, so I make sure I don’t stinge on the tamarind mixture.

    Note:
    Tamarind (asam jawa) is commonly available from supermarkets in the form of pulp which must be soaked in water, stirred, squeezed and strained to yield a sour liquid that adds intense flavour to a dish. All solids and pulp should be discarded from the liquid before use.
    Source: Homestyle Indian Cooking by Devagi Sanmugam

    Recipe from: http://thesuddencook.blogspot.com/

    No comments

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad